What do you imagine your dwelling place in heaven looks like?
Will heaven be a huge, white cathedral where we meet God face to face and admit our trespasses, then be judged worthy or unworthy of a life in eternity with Him?
Might you be assigned a sunny room with a beautiful view where God will visit you and share leisurely meals and a glass of wine over discussions of biblical truths, theology and mysteries?
Or will you invite Him in for a morning cup of coffee over which you can speak of love and grace and forgiveness, and have all your questions answered over eternal time?
“Don’t be troubled. Believe in God, and believe in me. In My Father’s house there are many dwelling places (monē). If that were not true, would I have told you that I’m going to prepare a place for you? If I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again. Then I will bring you into my presence so that you will be where I am.” (John 14:1-3)
This word, monē, is used only two places in Scripture. The word in Greek means dwelling place, abode, room or mansion (Strong’s 3438; GK: G3665)
Here are some things the Bible says about heaven.
- God has prepared a city, a homeland for faithful believers. (Hebrews 11:16, 13:14; 1 Peter 1:14)
- Jesus will transform our earthly bodies into the form of His post-resurrection body; we will shine like the sun in His kingdom. (Philippians 3:21; Matthew 13:43)
- The holy city called the new Jerusalem, will come down from God out of heaven and become the new Eden. (Rev 21:2, 10; 2 Peter 3:13)
- God will live with us all the time. (Rev 21:3)
- God Himself will wipe away all our tears. (Rev 21:4)
- There will be no more death, sadness, crying, or pain because nothing will be the same. (Rev 21:4)
- There will be no evil in this new city of heaven; it will not be allowed. (Rev:21:27)
- We will not need a sun or moon because God’s glory will be our light. No one in the world will need light to walk any path because Lord Jesus will be our lamplight. (Rev 21:23, 22:5)
- The walls surrounding the city will be in a huge square and very high. There will be twelve gates to enter the city, three in each wall. (Rev 21:12)
- There will a crystal clear river containing the water of life running through the middle of the city, flowing from the throne of God. (Rev 22:1-2)
- Next to the river will be the tree of life which produces twelve kinds of fruit, a different fruit each month. (Rev 22:2)
- The gates will be open all the time for those who have a pure heart for the Lord. They will be open for those who are thirsty for His wisdom. They will be open for those who believe in Him. (Rev 21:25)
If you read through Revelation 21:1 – Revelation 22:5, you get a detailed picture of what this new Jerusalem will look like, though we don’t know exactly where it will be.
I often think of heaven more as a place with an abundance of trees and flowers, with a perfect temperature of 78 degrees all the time, and a gentle breeze wafting through the godly light that warms my skin. My body has been transformed into the perfect weight for my height, and my skin glows from His radiance. I am never lonely, and greet my brothers and sisters in Christ to share thoughts and speak of those not yet with us.
And anytime I wish, I can sit with my God and have deep conversation, a light laugh or simply sit in silence, knowing I am loved for eternity.
Jesus answered him, saying, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our dwelling place (monē) with him.” (John 14:23)
What do you imagine your eternal dwelling place looks like?